Wednesday, November 4, 2009

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY...Are you scurrrrrd?

Writer/Director: Oren Peli (former video-game designer)


Okay...So, I took the bait like everyone else and decided to see this much advertised horror flick on Halloween night. I have to admit that I was pretty reluctant, thinking of how "bamboosled" I felt when I had fallen for the Blair Witch Project trap. It wasn't that I actually thought that Blair Witch was really based on a true story, but I was mad as hell, because it wasn't even scary...not even a little bit.

Normally, seeing a movie at night is pretty much a turn-off for me, because of the massive amount of people who show up to these showings and seem to confuse the theater with their own living room and can't seem to keep their traps shut during the movie. However, it was Halloween, so I thought hearing a bunch of people scream might add to the spooky ambience of the film. Although, the two cackling hens behind me almost made me turn into a demon!

So, here's the set-up...The film takes place in the home of young San Diego couple, Katie and Micah. Micah is suppose to be a day-trader, and Katie, a student, incidentally, you never see them go to work or to school. Minor details, but being a writer...those things bug me. Anyway, they've been having a lot of strange shizz going on in the house, and Micah decides to set up camera equipment in hopes of getting answers. Night after night, the footage from the time lapse camera provides the story's main point of view. After about an hour of this, I was ready for a nap...seriously. WHEN AM I GOING TO BE SCARED??? This is all I kept thinking.

Finally, the moment came. Unsuspecting, short, but sweet.
Now, I'm sitting up in my seat and interested. I'm not gonna completely spoil it for you, but Katie is the demon's obsession. When things really start going out of control, they seek the help of a psychic, who let them know with 'quickness' that this shizz was way over his head, and broke for the door. The next frightening moment was really off the chain, and got my heart to beat a little faster.
Now, the director has got my total attention. The closing fright scene is masterful! Too bad, the best stuff was all in the last half hour of the film.

Am I still haunted by what I saw? Not even. To the people who supposedly ran out of theaters screaming and afraid....Cream puffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment